Pylasteki

Pylasteki is a 1961 Pearson Triton sailboat. She is one of my personal project boats... I am rebuilding her as a blue water cruiser.

Enjoy, if you have any questions or comments, drop me line: rocknrod@gmail.com

Zach

Monday, November 5, 2007

The Winter Plan

Pylasteki has some issues.

She needs a deck recore. Thats a job that will be for spring.

She sheared a key way on the shaft coupling, and ended up with an outboard. I like the outboard, as it sips fuel, and I can set it in the cockpit to work on. Reverse actually works, and docking is much easier. A few weeks ago I pulled her engine.



Then I removed the kitchen unit, and the fuel tank. What an awkward job, it required a lot of contortion and finger pinching. Now I have two cockpit lockers, a cause for celebration, though not quite as much joy as never having to check the oil on the Atomic Four again. Much to my amusement, no matter how many times I tried to start the engine with a funnel in the oil fill she never would start. Who says boats don't have souls? I had some help getting the Atomic Four out, a fellow at the yard used a fork lift and I guided it up out of the hole. Sure wish I had a forklift for pulling car engines...

I found some rotten plywood around the kitchen, so that will be fixed on my next trip down. I've removed the jacketed exhaust, engine wiring, gauges, and shifter linkage from the boat. She sits much higher in the back with all the weight removed, I will take a picture on the next trip. I rather like the lines, as her overhangs are even more accented!

When the fuel tank came out, so did a hunk of cockpit drain, so they need work. I'll be using plastic fittings! The side decks will drain into the cockpit through four 1 inch fittings, and the cockpit will drain through two flush mount 1 and one half inch drains. While not as elegant as the original design, it will be bullet proof and allow for capturing rain water.

Lastly, I'll pull the icebox and glass over the deck hatch. A cooler will do the trick in the mean time, and I'll gain a bunk that will fit my frame without touching on both ends!

The rig, and cosmetics will be a job for next summer, when I aim to move aboard.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was wondering what happened to Pylastiki! I sailed aboard her as crew in the Annapolis area when owned by Scotty and LEB Brown and thoroughly enjoyed her. By the way, the name is pronounced Plas (as in Plastic), teak, i (as in eee). She was named that because she was built of plastic and teak, and they had a lot of fun in her. But since she is your boat, you can pronounce her name any way you'd like! The sail number (101) is not her build number. The owners wanted to have symmetry on the numbers and so that is the sail number they chose. I believe the real 101 is a west-coast build and the hull number is somewhere on the boat. I wish you well with the boat and if there's anything I can do to help, please let me know. I now own Sandpiper, 129, and sail her out of Annapolis and so know the joys and frustrations of keeping a Triton going.
Dan Lawrence
lawrence129@gmail.com
http://cbtf.info