Pylasteki is a 1961 Pearson Triton sailboat. She is one of my personal project boats... I am rebuilding her as a blue water cruiser.

Enjoy, if you have any questions or comments, drop me line:


Saturday, February 23, 2008

Making Snow Part 2: Learning

It had been raining on and off, and a pang of Radar Love sent me back down to check on Pylasteki after three days. The tape that was over the port deck drain had come loose... and the cockpit drains seacock was not open all the way. The bilge was almost overflowing.

The past few days were spent grinding, glassing, and experimenting with other varieties of west systems epoxy. Finished glassing over the bilge blower vent and power outlet holes as well as the shifter... though the fairing is not yet complete.

The wind blew all the water out of the creek, which combined with a full moon made the tides a bit interesting, she took to the ground in her slip while I was on board... about four feet from the dock, and standing on deck about eye level to it. Lunch break was a can of tuna and a few crackers sitting on the high side of that starboard tack... much to the amusement of others in the yard.

The temperature was varying between mid 30's and the lower 60's. I had a gallon of resin and a little can of hardener that had been refilled so many times they were one uniform color... sawdust. After a few days of working with this stuff I made a run up to the hardware store and bought 12 ounces of 407 filler, as the cabosil was slumping a bit on the sides of the cockpit and I was hopeful it would stay put. Beside the 407 was a can of "Fast Hardener" eureka!

No pictures this time either, I need to replace some plywood in the galley before I have a sink to wash up to keep the camera from looking like the can of resin!

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Making Snow.

This weekend was productive.
The electrical system has been cleaned up further, a few pounds of excess wire have been removed. The electrical panel needs to be rewired, as the last guy used 18gauge for everything and didn't crimp the connections to withstand a light tug, the wire pulls out of the crimp. (The battery is disconnected.)

The cracked fiberglass cockpit drains were cut out. I used a hole saw and cut through the top to avoid having to hacksaw at odd angles. The holes were then filled with West Systems epoxy/cabosil mixture and relocated slightly inboard for the flanges of the new "Through-hulls" that are acting as drains. After coring the cockpit sole, they will be flush. The radiator hose that was in place, has been replaced with Shieldflex exhaust hose.

The instrument cluster has been ground down and the new glass cut out and prepared for wetting out, but rain and thunderstorms cut the trip short.

I picked up a Henderson Mark V pump to use as a bilge pump and have been studying mounting locations. The existing hoses (3/4) and outlets are not large enough to fit the pump (1 1/2) which will be remedied on the next trip.

Pictures next time! To much dust and rain to bring out the camera.