Pylasteki is a 1961 Pearson Triton sailboat. She is one of my personal project boats... I am rebuilding her as a blue water cruiser.

Enjoy, if you have any questions or comments, drop me line:


Thursday, March 18, 2010

March 18 2010

Last night I laid up a sheet of divinycell with a layer of 1708 on each side. It was set up and pretty this morning...

Got off work around 5...

It was raining, but not blowing very hard so I could work inside and stay dry.

I cut out the starboard settee with a skill saw and rode along side the tabbing. The face came out in pretty much one piece. Then I ground down the top tab to the plywood where I could see the seam, and got the aft end freed up off the lower tab with a pry bar. Once the ply was out I used a cutoff wheel to slice off the part of the tab hanging out... Saves on dust.

Then I cut out the aft shroud bulkhead, if she was still fitted out... The hanging locker bulkhead.
I used a cut off wheel on the angle grinder, cut through down to the plywood right beside the hull, then came back and ground it with 36 grit on the angle grinder. (4.5 in) I chopped the bulkhead in half with a sawzall to make it easier to remove. Geometry wants to hold a tightly fitting bulkhead in place. It won't be going back in the same spot... so no need to keep the old as a template.

Most of the plywood was in pretty decent shape, except the outer edge of the bulkhead. 4 layers thick in some areas, 1 mat, 1 roving, 1 mat, 1 roving... then finish cloth. Beastly strong... I went down to the first layer of mat, I'll come back with an 8 inch pad sander to keep everything smooth.

Took a dinner break, and came back to do some more grinding. I burned down the tabbing... Still have a few feet to go before its a fresh start on the starboard.

Pylasteki looks like 25 pounds of powdered sugar was dumped inside of her...


No comments: