Saturday, August 1, 2009
Mast tabernacle and interior shots
Brian welded up the compression tube and doublers, and filled some of the holes where stuff used to bolt.
While he was running the Tig, I spent some time going over the "list" making sure that all the measurements needed were taken. After the welding was done, I scribed the arc the mast goes through by turning the plate from side to side riding a pencil on the mast. Then transferring the line a 1/2 inch further up... Picked up a plasma cutter, and gave it a try... then backed slowly away and grabbed my trusty jigsaw. Grin. I'm not that artful with something that cuts as fast as plasma...
While I was finishing up fish mouthing the tube... (see picture) he made a new set of jumper strut adjusters. The old ones were crusty aluminum and eaten away... new ones are pieces of stainless allthread.
Finished up around noon, loaded it back up on the truck (tire on the roof of the truck, tire on the back of a trailer... me in the back of the truck picking it up and walking side to side for tight corners.
I bought a bolt with a real wide shoulder, as I'm not sure if this will be my last mast on Pylasteki. I'm going to make a set of plates to carry the boom vang, so when I want to drop the mast everything will rotate around the same pivot point.
Then it was time to get started doing some glass work... except I reached exhaustion, mainly heat... 93 degrees and 80% humidity, all I wanted to do was sleep. Tried to work through it, but no dice... about all I finished was hot coating the plywood panels going into the cockpit. After that I ran over to West Marine to run some pricing on the random tidbits... in airconditioning!
When it cooled off, I went back to... sanding bottom paint. Unfit for anything but the mindless monotony, of waking up to discover that piece of sandpaper had died a long slow death and quit sanding 5 minutes ago...