Pylasteki

Pylasteki is a 1961 Pearson Triton sailboat. She is one of my personal project boats... I am rebuilding her as a blue water cruiser.

Enjoy, if you have any questions or comments, drop me line: rocknrod@gmail.com

Zach

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Dunked the dink...




Well, I lost a filter for my respirator overboard... and in a snap decision grabbed dinky and tossed her in the water and gave chase.

That lasted ten feet or so, before the bow transom started wanting to separate from the sides... I used the pink stuff (bondo) for those fillets, rather than the bondo-glass I used for the sides and bottom. Still a little exciting that my wee little boat floated and didn't spontaneously explode like it probably should have. (I had not fiberglassed the joints... and no frames...1/4 inch luan... )

So, having ceremoniously dunked my dink... I decided it was time to put her back on the cabin top and see how much bigger I can build her next reincarnation. She is a mere 32 inches wide, to easily slide through the back hatch of my vw bus...

I hoisted up the boom almost to the end of the track, and spent some time pondering boom to head clearance, and boom gallows placement. I'm wanting a gallows to have something fixed at the aft end of the cockpit to attach an awning to... solar panels and to make reefing and hoisting and furling sail a little easier single handed.

I was about to button Pylasteki up for the night when I noticed that the amount of space for dinghys grew. By raising the boom, my boom vang went from nearly touching, to almost a foot of clearance at Dinkys bow rail. Hmm...

I'm thinking I'll build a full size tortoise, and maybe a nymph (both Phil Bolger designs) and see which one fits best. The tortoise clashes with the lines on

Anyone out there done a removable transom? It's a bit tight with a boat over the companionway hatch. Grin.

Zach

P.S. In other news, there is a Triton out of the water at another yard... so today I spent some time with the owner, and made a full scale template of the rudder and prop aperture. Weee! Exciting, as I've been mulling over this area of the boat for a long while.

No comments: